Denver County Local Coordinating Council
October 20, 2021; 9-10 AM
Carol Buchanan – DRMAC, Kenna Davis – DRMAC TATF, Julia Wcislo – CDOT, Dan Shah – West Colfax BID, Blake Van Jacobs – CDOT, Cooper Langdon – RTD Service Planning, Dani McLean – CDOT, David Krutsinger – DOTI, Matthew Helfant – DRCOG, Mayra Gonzales – Montbello Organizing Committee, Michael Hughes – West Corridor TMA, Moira Moon – CDOT, Steve Martingano – RTD, Robbie Roppolo – Atlantis Community, Travis Noon – DRCOG, Jeff Prillwitz – CDOT
Welcome/Introductions/Steering Committee Update-Carol Buchanan, DRMAC
- David Krutsinger, City and County of Denver Transit Director will serve as the new DCLCC chair.
Presentation: Colfax Viaduct Vision-Dan Shah, Colfax BID
- Colfax Viaduct has been around since 1917 but was reconstructed in 1984. People drive very fast and can be dangerous for pedestrians (lack of pedestrian lighting, high speeds and noise, etc.)
- Has a planning grant -working with CDOT and Denver to create mid-term solutions for walking/biking improvements
- Many planned developments in the area (Stadium District, River Mile, Auraria, Sun Valley Eco District)
- Looking at what vertical connections could be added to connect the viaduct to surrounding neighborhoods – stairs, elevators, ramps, etc.
- Mid-term solution: Reallocation of existing travel lanes to use for multimodal use on the northside of the viaduct – incorporating art, bicycle facilities, visual/noise barrier, placemaking areas, widened sidewalks
- Short-term solution: wayfinding
- Long-term solution: looked at taking down the viaduct in the future, still have to have some sort of bridge over the South Platte River, I-25, and railroads – CU Denver Planning class looked at different, innovative solutions.
- Some discussion of BRT
Transit & Gender Equity Study-Dani McLean, CDOT DTR
- Why this study:
- Historically male-dominated and -centric urban planning and design
- Widespread gender-based violence on transit
- Shifted transportation patterns in response to real and perceived threats
- Lack on information on LGBTQ+ populations
- Study Methodology:
- Surveys (online and/or paper-based onboard surveys
- User focus groups and interviews – transit riders and target populations
- Expert interviews
Preview of DRCOG Call-for-Projects on OAA/HST/Other funds – Travis Noon, DRCOG
- Upcoming call for projects for Older Americans Act, 5310, and Human Services Transportation funding – to be released on November 8, 2021
- Mandatory Workshop for applicants – November 17, 2021
- Applications will be due January 7, 2022
- Mayra Gonzales from Montbello Organizing Committee reported on how the industrial nature of the site area where their last walkable loop event was held helped them become more aware of the need for accessibility. Mayra also asked for assistance to identify resources for a grant they received for electric mobility – e.g., developing an ebike library, offering an electric shuttle
- David Krutsinger announced the launch of the Montbello Connector service on Saturday, October 30 from 11am to 1pm at Montbello Rec Center.
Next meeting: Wednesday, November 17, 9am-10am